Family Resource Center
NEW AT THE FAMILY RESOURCE CENTER
Raising a Reader is Here!
The Family Resource Center is pleased to offer the Raising a Reader Program to families in North Adams and Adams. Raising a Reader is a FREE literacy program for pre-school aged children and their families! The Focus is on the importance of you being your child’s first teacher!
The program helps you and your child learn a special way to share reading
together! Family workshops are offered with dinner, childcare, and transportation
included! In addition, book bags will be rotated each week for you and your child to enjoy!
By establishing a daily reading routine in sharing books with your child, you are helping them learn basic
pre-reading skills and they begin to develop:
- An understanding of language
- New vocabulary and concepts
- Love of books and desire to become a reader
- Sense of accomplishment
- Attentive behavior and listening ability
- Now enrolling for this program!
Call Sara Stewart, Literacy Specialist 413-664-4821 ext. 10
Raising a Reader is funded by the Department of Education and Care (EEC)
and The Berkshire Taconic Foundation’s Barrett Fund.
The Family Resource Center of Northern Berkshire County is a family support program of Child Care of the Berkshires. Our philosophy is that parents are the child’s first teacher and that play is how children learn.
Our groups and programs give parents and care-givers the support they need to be loving and nurturing and to guide children in positive ways toward becoming healthy, happy productive adults.
Play & Learn Groups: Days, evenings and some Saturdays
Focusing on serving: Families with children prenatal through Age 12
Please click below for the Playgroup Schedule:
- Parent-Child Play and Learn Groups
- Family Child Care Provider Play and Learn Groups
- Help Me Grow: Quick and easy child development screening program
- New Postpartum Support Group – meets monthly
- Parent Education Workshops and Series on many topics
- Worry-free on-site Child care and Transportation for Parent Education
- Parent Support Groups for new parents
- Personal Guidance for parents with children with challenging behaviors
- Family Events and Activities
- Information and Referral Services
- Free Children’s Clothing and Book Exchange
- Parent and Educator Resource Library with Books, DVDs and CDs
- Educator Support with transitions for children
- Monthly Family Newsletter with parent education articles and community events
- Monthly Educator Newsletter with professional development information
- Connect with other parents to share parenting stories and swap information
- Learn about parenting issues and child development
- Find out about fun family activities and community events in our newsletter
- Give your child opportunities to play with other children, experience different places and toys and try age appropriate art experiences.
- Free child care for all parent workshops and meetings
- Parent involvement and leadership opportunities
- Decreased isolation for parents
- Opportunities for educators to learn about professional development workshops/courses and to gain knowledge and support in attaining credentials.
To read our current month’s newsletter, click the below link:
Family Resource Center is open to all families with children prenatal through age 12 from the following towns: Adams, North Adams, Williamstown, Clarksburg, Cheshire, Hancock, New Ashford, Lanesborough, Florida, Monroe and Savoy.
Coordinated Community and Family Engagement Grant
Handy links for parents: