Family Child Care System
- Family child care educators work in their homes
- The educators’ homes are located in a variety of neighborhoods in North Adams, Cheshire, Lanesborough, Lee and Pittsfield.
- Family child care sites are licensed by the Department of Early Education and Care for a specific number of children – usually 6 to 8 children.
- The ages of children in family child care homes vary from babies to school age children.
- Family child care educators create a learning environment for children in their homes, using the living room and the kitchen as play spaces with toys and learning materials.
- Many of our homes offer children a designated child care room with developmentally appropriate learning centers.
- The daily curriculum includes story time, art, music, and many activities that encourage development in early literacy, math, and science.
- Many educators offer field trips to local parks, museums and the library.
- Outdoor and rest time occur daily
- Many family child care educators have their Child Development Associate Credential, early childhood course work and/or degrees and experience.
CCB staff visit the family child care homes regularly during the month.
CCB conducts monthly training for family child care educators on a variety of topics, including nutrition, behavior management, evaluating the learning environment and planning curriculum activities.
CCB staff and licensors check the homes to ensure safety and health requirements
Educators are certified in First Aid and CPR.
What’s GREAT about the Family Child Care System?
- Care for a small group of children in a nurturing, home environment
- Siblings can spend the entire day together
- School age children can come before and after-school
- Flexibility in meeting an individual child’s needs
- An array of developmentally appropriate activities occurring throughout the day
- Home cooked, nutritious meals and snacks
- Transportation to and from the home, based on the family’s needs
- Substitute child care arrangements when a provider’s home closes
- Progress reports and parent conferences
- Family involvement activities and parent education opportunities
The CCB Staff Provide:
- Assistance with matching a child and parent to the right family child care home
- Scholarships and subsidies for parents to make the care affordable
- Frequent visiting to homes that provides a sense of reassurance for parents and their children
- Mediation of parent-provider child care issues
- Monthly plan for curriculum ideas and activities
- Referrals for developmental and health screenings
- Problem solving and assistance in meeting the individual needs of children
- Meal monitoring
Children are offered:
- Hands on experiences to paint, to play and to explore
- Opportunities to learn self-help skills and independence
- Opportunities to build self-esteem and develop at their own pace
- The advantages of bonding with one family child care provider for several years
- Smiles, caring, and T.L.C.
CCB offers full and part time care, at competitive rates. Families pay fees according to their income and family size. We offer discounts and scholarships based on need and accept child care vouchers and certificates.
For your convenience, some of the intake forms are available below. They can
be completed online after you and the family child care provider have met and
agreed to the placement. You will need to print them and return to the North
Adams or Pittsfield office. Also available for download is the FCC Parent Handbook.
|Northern Berkshire Country